Advantages of either
- Sole proprietorship and partnerships cost less to establish.
- Whereas a sole proprietor or partner is not required to pay unemployment insurance taxes on his salary.
Disadvantages of both
- The owners are personally responsible for business debts; if the assets of the sole proprietorship or partnership cannot satisfy the debt, creditors can go after each owner’s personal bank account, house, etc..
- Earnings from a sole proprietorship are subject to self-employment taxes.
- A sole proprietorship or partnership, cannot be sold whole. Instead, each of its assets, licenses and permits must be individually transferred. Additionally, new bank accounts and tax identification numbers are required.